Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thing 27: Amo, Amas, Amat; Tweet, Twitter, Twat

Twitter, yet another social networking site. A short message about what you're doing and all your followers see it. You see all their short messages about what they're doing. Basically a longer version of the Facebook status. And that's all there is to it. Yes, there are bagillions of people, businesses and organizations on there as well. No, they aren't necessarily easy to find. I suppose they are if you know who or what you're looking for, but I didn't.

Love it or hate it? I don't know (although; if you know Latin, you may have thought I loved it with the title of this posting). I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I did find 31 Twitterers to follow. And as of now, I have 12 followers. Ai, yi, yi. Only one of which do I know personally, so that makes me feel some pressure to be witty, sharp, and all around not-boring so that they will continue to follow me.

This would be a great thing for our library, and easy way to let our patrons know what is going on at the library. However, I don't know that our patrons know anything about Twitter. It's a handy dandy tool for people who are a bit more up on their Web 2.o than our community seems to be. Guess we need to gently push them into all these "new" sites!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm glad to see you're not dismissing it out of hand and can see uses for it. You're right about people not necessarily being acquainted with it, but if you use it, they're bound to discover it. Library people have always seemed to be early adopters and helped their people learn as they go along, so this is just more of the same technique. Good that the community has somewhere to go to get pushed along.

tanja-mn said...

It will be a while, before our patrons will be aware of twitter,because we need to make them more comfortable with the computer first.