Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thing 29: Polly Wolly Google all the day.

Ai, yi, yi. You certainly could Google all day, and all night for weeks with all the tools and gadgets Google has to offer. So, what did I tinker with? After looking at my options here's my synopsis of them:

Search Tools:
Alerts: I don't need more emails, especially ones I won't read about breaking news, even if it is something I'm trying to keep tabs on.
Google News: Okay, I've already got this going on my iGoogle page. I've got the news I want to kind of be aware of (scan the headlines of) at the top of the page where I can quickly look at them when I'm using my iGoogle.
SearchWiki: I didn't understand the point of this one. I suppose if you don't have a delicious account to save your favorites to it would be useful. Now I know what it is, and it's there should I ever want it--but I don't think I will use it much. I don't need to see other's comments on websites, it seems to waste more time than free time up.
Web History: No, No, No I don't need a gadget to remember all the sites I've visited. It may be handy to have more personalized results for stuff, but what happens when I want to go beyond where I've been?

Productivity Tools:

Sites: This the the thing in this Thing that I'm excited about. It seems like an easy way to get a library web site up and running for our very small library. Link it to our to-be-created Facebook account, and maybe we'd get some traffic with it! Baby steps first and here's what it looks like so far: GREAT! Okay, so it's not really great yet--but I only spent a short time on it, I'm sure it will improve over the course of the next month or two.

Google 411: How great to have information available for free! 1-800-GOOG-411 has been added to my cell phone contact list!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I see you got a lot out of this thing. You do have a great start to the page on Sites. We'll have to watch as you develop it. Very cool! Seems to me you are actually enjoying this even though it's lots of work.