Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thing 31: Tweeting--more than just duck calls

Holy, canolli! There certainly was a lot of stuff to read with this Thing. It was really too nice of a day out to open each link and read all. So, I didn't. I read a lot, and I learned a lot, and then I think my brain over-loaded. I had no idea there were so many gadgets and tools to help a person navigate, use, and keep up with Twitter. "Everyone" uses Twitter, heck I saw Oprah open up her Twitter account a few weeks ago (and now I follow her, just like hundreds-of-thousands of other viewers that day.)

I'm proud to say that I rank 511,489 out of 2,170,054 with a grade of 71/100. That's a C-. I was surprised that I ranked so well. I used Tweetdeck for a day, but found it made my computer DRAG, so I uninstalled it. It was pretty nifty to get the updates as they happened. I was able to link it into my Facebook account, so those popped up when any one of my friends updated their statuses. Right now; I'm still pretty new to Twitter, and none of my real world friends are big Twitter users, so I'm in the Presence stage of using it. I'm there, I'm following a few things (hello, Rep. Oberstar, Darth Vader, my sister-in-law, and Linda Wadman, among others.) I still don't completely understand all the hype though. Maybe if I can get more of my real world friends to sign up (like I did with Facebook, and now they can't live without it either) then I would be more inclined to check it everyday.

I signed myself up on the Tweeter directory. Now, I don't know how exactly to find the Tweeter directory. Do I really need to come back to this Thing in order to get the link for it? It shouldn't be this elusive. I saw that you can post from your email, Gmail, phone, etc. I have no use for that at this time. Remember, my stage in the Twitter game is Presence. At this time, it works best for me to just log onto my Twitter account and change my status. I added my Twitter address to my list of websites on my Facebook account, we'll see if anyone notices and joins because of me--I've got one particular status-junkie friend who I think would love Twitter.

We'll see as time goes on how much I will really use Twitter. I like to think of myself as on the cutting edge--at least as far as conservative Northern Minnesota goes. I'm ahead of the pack, let's just see if the pack follows.


bubblefriends on twitter, originally uploaded by bubblefriends.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Another catchy title for your post..fun. And you added a nifty illustration too. Glad you're giving Twitter a chance..so many just instantly dislike it without giving it a chance to grow on them or reveal possible uses.