Monday, May 11, 2009

Thing 33: Travel 2.0--around the globe, one website at a time


Brooklyn, originally uploaded by Farl.



This was a very timely Thing to be doing right now. Our trip to NYC is nearing, and we're looking at all the things there are to do that we haven't yet done, and all the things we'd like to do again. I like the "new" way of doing things, letting users/travelers review and recommend various travel options.

Travel blogs: I checked out some blogs at Travelblog.com and found some blogs by and for people with kids. As an added bonus, some of those bloggers seem to be professionals (unlike the lowly amateur you're reading now,) with easy to find listings of places they've been with kids.

Review sites: I've been a long-time user of TripAdvisor.com -- it's good to get people's opinions on various things, so you know how good or bad a place can be. Igougo.com seemed like a good site to use to get reviews on places/things to see. I didn't look at it long, but I can see myself spending some time seeing what there is to offer for travelers.

Travel Journal Sites: I could create my own travel blog, but I won't. I did find some good information on VCarious.com.

Travel Mash-ups: Fastfoodmaps.com gives listings for some popular fast food joints. I do wish they had more than just the standard places. (Sonic, anyone?) I like the quick link to caffeinemaps.com--handy if your preference is Starbucks. Not so handy if you'd like Caribou instead.

Other: I found TripIt.com somewhere in my ride through Travel 2.0. I'm surprised my sister-in-law; "The Scheduler", hasn't found this and filled in all time slots available during our week in NYC. I sent it to her; with my one plan marked on the calendar along with time, location, and address, and gave her collaboration powers so that she can put in everything else (haha). Travelwithyourkids.com offered some good reading as well. Ideas for how to keep the kids entertained en-route to your final destination, what to pack, and destinations among other useful information can be found here.

Looks like I'm all set to start delving further into things to do in New York City--granted, while I was perusing all the sections of this Thing I read a lot, and added quite a few bookmarks to my delicious account.

No comments: