Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thing 10: It's a wiki, wiki world

What a handy-dandy tool when you're trying to compose a list with other people. I used PBWiki and Zoho Wiki, just to try to figure out the difference. I also used Zoho Wiki to try to help me comprehend the difference between a wiki and online collaboration tools. So; if I've got it down, wiki's are start from scratch fix it there and leave it there and with the collaboration tools users can use their own format to edit the document. Somehow, I think that's the absolute basic idea behind it. But, maybe I'm a little off (yes, yes, I've heard it before; I know I'm a little off.)

I enjoyed the Book Lover's Wiki. A great place to head for when you're searching for a book to read, or a book for your book club to read. I scanned the Library Success wiki and hope to have time to actually read some of it after I finish up my Things. I edited the 23 Things On a Stick wiki. Not much more than I "I was here" for those doing these 23 Things.

Wikis are an interesting idea. I'm not sure about how factual they may or may not end up being. For a student doing research, I would think they aren't the final say. I would want some other "real" information to back-up what someone said on a wiki. Since anyone can add anything, it's hard for me to call this true information. How would we use this in our library? I don't know. I do like the book lover's wiki idea. A place for patrons to post about the books they've checked out and loved or the books they've checked out and hated. Now, if only more of our voracious readers were truly internet savvy (but that's a task for another day.)

P.S. Did you notice I learned how to put links on here. Good grief, going a little crazy with it too.

No comments: